Thursday, October 1, 2009

Conference Cakes

**I made some updates to the recipe on 10/6/09.

I really wish I had a picture of these to post with this. I'll have to post the recipe first and add some pictures after we make these for Conference in a few days.

Last Sunday my 6-year-old daughter told my husband that she was excited for General Conference. He asked her why and she said, "Conference cakes! And the start of hot chocolate season!" (I guess in Arizona we feel like we can't possible bear to have hot cocoa between April and October.) I thought that was pretty fun that she at least has a fun tradition that she looks forward to and associates with General Conference. We also make the on Christmas morning... which we call Christmas Cakes, then.

Here's the recipe, if you'd like to try them:


Conference Cakes


2 C. warm milk

3/4 C. sugar

2 beaten eggs

1/2 C. butter (1 cube)

2 tsp. yeast

5-6 C. flour

{You will also need to have extra butter, sugar and brown sugar for the top of the dough when rolling out. I don't have exact amounts for those extra ingredients. Just guess.}


Mix milk, softened (can be melted) butter, and sugar. Make sure your milk mixture is warm enough to activate the yeast but not too hot to kill the yeast. Add yeast, stir, then add the beaten eggs. Slowly add flour one cup at a time, mixing between cups (you may not need all of the flour, so be sure to mix between each cup and only add flour until dough is glossy). Beat until glossy
. Dough will be sticky. Let rise overnight. In a big bowl, covered, in the fridge. (I have to make it the night before! *Update: My sister says she just starts it a few hours before they want to eat it. She lets it rise in the oven for about an hour. She puts the oven on 400 degrees for one minute, then turns it off and then puts the bowl of dough in the oven to rise.)

In the morning: Roll out on counter top to 1/2" thick and spread melted butter on top. Sprinkle with sugar. Cut into pieces, about the size of the palm of your hand (it doesn't really matter what size). Put onto greased cookie sheets. Poke a little belly button "dip" in the middle of each piece. Put a glob of butter (1/4 tsp. size is fine) and a pinch -or two- of brown sugar in the middle of the belly button. This recipe should make enough for about 12 people. You may end up using about 4 or five cookie sheets or baking stones, etc.


Bake for 12-15 minutes at 350*. Serve with hot chocolate and whipped cream!


{Let me know if you have any questions about the recipe, or if there's something that doesn't make sense in the recipe}

We have these for breakfast, but we usually end up eating them during the first half hour of the first session of Conference, while we watch or listen. We usually dip the cakes into the hot cocoa. We like to put whipped cream on top of the cakes and on our hot cocoa. We also like to make our own whipped cream. It's the best!

What General Conference traditions do you have in your family?? Also, let me know if you make these and tell me if you liked them!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I liked to cook and bake, but I really don't. Mostly I hate the mess it leaves when you're done. Those sound yummy though. Maybe you could take a picture of them this weekend and post it.

    As for your messy house post, I can totally relate. I have a very hard time staying on top of things too. I know a few moms who manage to keep their house clean with little ones, but I think they are freaks of nature. It always makes me feel better when other people admit to having a messy house too.

    ReplyDelete