Monday, October 5, 2009

Conference Cakes through pictures (lots of them)

Conference weekend was wonderful. The only thing that could have been much better was my husband's health. I think he has the swine flu. Who really knows, unless he goes and gets tested. But, he's sicker (is that a real word?) than I have ever seen him (the last 11 years).

When I was all set to make these, I realized I needed to make some changes to the recipe I posted here before. So, I will make some changes there, but I will also post pictures we took of the process here.

The dough, glossy and sticky and ready to go in the fridge overnight to rise.


The dough rolled out to about 1/2" thickness, on a floured surface.


Spreading the soft butter on the rolled dough. {Wow, that's thick. Don't think about the calories.}


We sprinkled a layer of sugar over the buttered dough and then cut into squares using a pizza cutter (it doesn't pull the dough).


The dough, all cut. (Didn't really need this picture, but posted it anyway. Isn't it beautiful?)


My kids, adding the "belly buttons" (that's their favorite job while helping make these).


A closeup of the belly buttons...


The little spoonful of butter in the "belly button".


My kids adding the brown sugar to the butter in the "belly buttons".


On the greased pan, ready to go in the oven.


This is what they looked like when I pulled them out of the oven. They don't look completely done, but that's the way we like them... just barely done. Not browning on top. They actually taste great as a cold leftover as well, when baked like this.


Ready to eat, at the table.


We always eat these with homemade hot cocoa and homemade whipped cream (that stuff's just so much better homemade... especially the whipped cream). We like whipped cream on the plate and in the cocoa. That way you can eat the cake dipped in whipped cream or dipped in hot cocoa. Oh YUM! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment