Friday, December 4, 2009

Green Smoothie


Yummy Green Smoothie! It may look gross, but it really is quite delightful!

Wondering what's in it?

For this one I filled my blender half full of spinach leaves. Then I added half a can (20oz. can) of pineapple, but all of the juice from it... and only the 100% juice kind. Then I blended it for a bit. Actually, I pulsed it a bit, then blended it until the green really came out and the chunks were all gone. It was really smooth! I added a banana and a scoop of ground flax seed. I could have had it just like that!

Since my 4 year-old son got the bag of strawberries out of the freezer this morning and filled the bag with water, I needed to use them. I then added strawberries, frozen blueberries, and a few spoonfuls of plain yogurt to the blender and blended until smooth. It turned out more brownish/purplish/redish. But, OH-SO-YUMMY!! I love it because I know we are getting some "greens" and my kids just love smoothies anyway!


You can really add anything, in any amounts. We've just been experimenting around here. It's fun. They always turn out a bit different. I liked the one with peaches in it, the other day.


Here's the proof that my kids LOVE it:

2 comments:

  1. This is hilarious because I was JUST making smoothies this afternoon and even considering posting the recipe. Of course mine are not "green" (ewwww but I'm curious to try it!) but still dang good! I perfected a recipe that's very LOW dairy, but still tastes like it's made w/ ice cream - woo hoo for the lactose intolerant among us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green smoothies are so awesome. They're a staple in our household. Such a fantastic and easy way to get lots of nutrition in your diet. :)

    Cheers,
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete